Thomas E. Scifres, PC provides reputable general practice services to Salem, IN and surrounding areas.
Tom’s commitment to building personal attorney-client relationships has earned him an excellent reputation in Southern Indiana.
General Practice Areas:
- Personal Injury Services. Tom spent nearly ten years representing the interests of insurance companies, including three years as in-house counsel for one. This background gives him keen insight into how these types of cases are evaluated. Let him represent you and negotiate your claim with the insurance company. Tom has many years of experience with all types of injury claims, including: Automobiles & Motorcycle Accidents, Uninsured/Under-insured Motorists, Serious Injury, Wrongful Death, Landowner Liability, Slip and Fall, Dog Bites and Animal Attacks, etc. See Tom’s seperate page devoted to Personal Injury.)
- Guardianship. We help you make logical choices about protecting loved ones and their assets-whether before or after they can no longer make good choices themselves. We counsel clients and assist in the implementation and use of powers of attorney and guardianships.
- Probate. Tom has assisted numerous families open an estate to transfer assets following the death of a loved one. In disputed cases, Tom has experience litigating will contests through trial. Fees are based upon the amount and complexity of the legal work involved.
- Estate Planning. Discuss with Tom your individual estate planning needs. Tom will explain wills, non-probate transfers, power of attorney, and any other legal instruments to help you achieve your goals at the least expense possible.
- Civil Litigation. Sometimes a lawsuit is the best way to protect your rights and achieve your legal goals-whether it be anything from personal injury-to business litigation-to property disputes. Litigation, from trial all the way to the Indiana Supreme Court, has been a part of Tom’s practice for over 25 years.
- Business Entities. Are you considering a business or other venture but aren’t quite sure the best way to proceed? Let us talk to you about corporations, LLC’s, partnerships, and sole proprietorships to help you make the best decision to achieve your goals and protect your assets in the process.
- Family Law. Dissolving a marriage is usually an emotionally charged and often complicated process-especially when children are involved. Tom seeks to counsel clients in minimizing the damage that can occur while protecting the client’s rights to assets and child custody.
- Mediation. Mediation became the preeminent form of alternative dispute resolution in Indiana in the early 1990’s, with a majority of such cases getting settled. All types of legal disputes are potential candidates for mediation; however, personal injury cases make up the majority of mediated disputes. Tom spent his years in Indianapolis representing insurance companies and their policyholders. Upon moving to Salem in 2001, he also began representing injured parties. Having represented both sides, Tom has a unique sense for understanding each side’s approach to evaluating cases. He is familiar with the internal claims evaluation process of insurance companies, yet understands the many difficulties injured parties have in recovering from physical injuries. Tom has taught collaborative negotiation classes at Indiana Wesleyan University as an adjunct instructor and
In 2007, Tom located his offices in a building he renovated on the southeast side of the Salem Courthouse Square. It has two floors and three conference rooms, allowing him to accommodate multiple parties for mediation. All types of disputes are welcome.