If you are dealing with the aftermath of a personal injury, you know the stakes involved can be extremely high. Many personal injury survivors have their lives changed forever by their injury, and require a just settlement to recover some of the damages. This includes past, present, and future financial losses (such as medical expenses and lost earning potential). It also includes damages for more subjective things, such as pain and suffering.
Unfortunately, insurance companies and other personal injury defendants often fight personal injury survivors every step of the way when they pursue these damages. Insurance companies hire extremely high-powered, expensive lawyers who are focused exclusively on making sure the company pays out as little as possible. This is true whether you are dealing with another party’s insurance company or your own insurance company. When the average person tries to go head-to-head with these companies and their attorneys, the results are almost always catastrophic. Defendants are nearly guaranteed to come away with less than their personal injury claim is worth—if they get anything at all.
This is why it is absolutely essential to hire the right personal injury attorney to handle your case. An experienced, knowledgeable personal injury attorney will give you the best possible chance of getting the settlement you deserve.
What Else Can A Personal Injury Attorney Do For Me?
If you have been through a personal injury, a personal injury attorney can do many things for you, both in terms of your case and your recovery from your injury. In addition to negotiation and litigation, a personal injury attorney can:
- Help prevent you from making rookie mistakes. There are many basics about pursuing a personal injury case that the average person simply doesn’t know. For example, a personal injury attorney will tell you to seek medical care as soon as possible after an accident, even if you don’t think an injury is that bad. This is important both for your health and for your case. If you do not seek immediate medical attention, the other side can argue that you weren’t all that hurt, which can seriously harm your case. Getting the right personal injury attorney involved in your case as early as possible can help you avoid making these basic errors.
- Connect you with vetted medical care providers. Personal injury attorneys are often connected to a network of experienced, vetted medical care providers that can help with injuries specific to your accident. It is sometimes very difficult to find the right doctor (and the right expert witness), and a personal injury attorney can help you make those connections.
- Collect and conduct a thorough investigation of all evidence. Many pieces of evidence in a personal injury case need to be carefully collected, pieced together, and presented in order to help support your claim. An experienced personal injury attorney will know what pieces of evidence are important, how to preserve them, and how to present them. They will also know how to counter evidence presented by the other side.
- Protect you from insurance companies. If you are a personal injury claimant, every interaction with an insurance company is designed to trip you up and reduce or invalidate your clam. As soon as you hire a personal injury attorney, you can stop interacting with any insurance company and direct them to your attorney. This will keep you from being tricked or bullied by the insurance company. It will also show them that you actually mean business and intend to pursue your claim in earnest.
- Accurately valuate your claim. A personal injury attorney will be able to look carefully at your case and evaluate how much it is worth. Using their experience and legal knowledge, as well as their knowledge of insurance companies and juries, an experienced personal injury attorney will be able to figure out exactly how much your claim is worth, and exactly how much you should demand as damages or a settlement.
Do you have a personal injury case in Salem, IN? Are you looking for an experienced, knowledgeable personal injury attorney? Salem Personal Injury Attorney Thomas E. Scifres is ready to help. Call (812) 896-1272 for a personalized consultation on your case today.